TV Cuts Discussion

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: TV Cuts Discussion

Postby Mark Meakin » 26 Mar 2013, 09:39

Luke wrote:Evening time round four in the afternoon which is most likely the reason for the cuts. The sequence where Heston gets hit with the spear was left intact.

It was always a surprising 'A' with the fire deaths but it was odd leaving the spear shot & cutting other violence.Did they remove the squib hits in the early ambush ?.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 26 Mar 2013, 19:52

It appeared to be reduced Mark but they didn’t remove it entirely. The first few impact shot's appeared to be missing. This was pretty violent for an A-Rated film in its time. I’m sure similar violence in a western would have been trimmed. The Sci-Fi fantasy setting may have helped some of the stuff get by. It would have been nice if they had gone for a full blown adult film rather than go for the PG-Rating in the states. I wonder if the MPAA toned any of this down before its release?.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Cobblers » 31 Mar 2013, 12:36

Channel Five just cut the entire opening scene of The Goonies inside the prison with the fake hanging - started with the exterior shots as the petrol is poured outside the entrance.
Cobblers

Postby Luke » 01 Apr 2013, 17:08

They do that a lot Cobblers for the evening screenings of The Goonies. Corey Feldmans subtitled references to S&M and drugs often tend to disapear along with a few uses of the word sh*t. Channel Five have always been bad offenders for cutting films.
They did used to redeem themselves a little in the past with post ten o clock UNCUT screenings of Out For Justice, Conan The Destroyer, and Kickboxer. And this was befor the BBFC passed these films UNCUT for DVD release.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Cobblers » 01 Apr 2013, 22:19

The curious thing is that The Goonies has turned up uncut on free-to-air TV with numerous afternoon screenings on, I think, Watch. Every other channel edits it to usually quite large degrees.

Film Four have been quite scissor-happy lately with their early evening slots being largely filled with edited versions of 12 and 15-rated films.
Cobblers

Postby m35541 » 02 Apr 2013, 08:31

That's interesting. I didn't realise films on Film Four were cut.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 02 Apr 2013, 14:59

m35541 wrote:That's interesting. I didn't realise films on Film Four were cut.

They certainly do Tim, as Congo was missing some of the grislier moments including the eyeball scene & shots of the gorillas being killed with the diamond laser.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 02 Apr 2013, 15:02

The Man About The House movie had footage of Jack Smethurst & Rudolph Walker from Love Thy Neighbour missing yesterday morning despite their names still appearing on the credits.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 02 Apr 2013, 15:08

That exterior shot of the block of flats they lived at in the Man About the House movie is in Alma Square London and I used to live in the block of flats across the road from it (not when they shot the stock footage alas).
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 19 Jul 2014, 14:32

Film 4 screened a heavily censored version of the 1966 Stagecoach on Friday lunchtime. I'd never seen the movie before but the cuts were blatant and had me hunting down the You Tube version. Only watched first ten minutes but:
- opening attack by Indians on cavalry had four censor cuts including the BBFC cut of man with tomahawk in his head plus following shot of his blood flowing down a stream. Also missing was the sight of a cavalry man being dragged along the ground and into a fire;
- the fight between 2 soldiers in a saloon (next scene) was cut to remove sight of a head being banged against a post and then most of the bear hug resulting in a back break with appropriate soundtrack noises was deleted.

Pity as the HD print was gorgeous. Makes me wonder what else is cut later on but at least I have uncut for reference. Surprised the BBFC didn't cut the back breaking as that was strong stuff for the time.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Cobblers » 21 Jul 2014, 02:29

Not exactly a movie (although it did contain recreations of parts of some!) but UK Gold's screening last night of Monty Python: Mostly Live at 7.30pm was, predictably, ruined by pervasive bleeping and even cutting away during some moments - yet a great deal of the material they left in is still bound to get them into hot water with OFCOM.

Uncut repeat, we're told, at 9pm on Tue 22nd.
Cobblers

Postby Luke » 21 Jul 2014, 17:20

Caught the last half of Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure on ITV and noticed a slight alteration. When Napoleon's character falls down during the bowling sequence he repeats the word shit in French. This is then subtitle in English, ITV removed the subtitles.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 24 Jul 2014, 08:30

More 4 screened a censored version of the Audie Murphy film Arizona Raiders cutting 2 shots of an outlaw's bloodied face that were also BBFC cuts. One wonders if More 4/C4/C5 are using the BBFC database and making the BBFC cuts for material deemed to be unsuitable for a 'PG' rating (and therefore unsuitable for pre-watershed films). Over the past few months Ambush Bay, Stagecoach (1966), Gunfight In Abilene and Arizona Raiders have all aired in censored prints.

In addition to the cuts at the beginning of Stagecoach (see earlier posting) Film 4 also cut out the entire killing of one of the Plummers at the end. As a result, a dead body just appears out of nowhere! At this point, I had to freeze the frame and check out the You Tube print to work out what had happened!
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 27 Jul 2014, 17:25

Cutting these old westerns seems really pointless to me. Audie Murphy films are hardly X-Rated even UNCUT and I think they suit an afternoon time slot.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 02 Aug 2014, 12:34

Just caught the first 20-mins of Rocky III on C5 and spotted 2 cuts. A shot of Clubber Lang hitting a prone fighter laid on the bottom rope in the opening montage. The shot of Thunderlips performing a back breaker on Rocky. You see Thunderlips raise him up but the shot cut away before you see the impact with along bone crunching sound. There might have been other cuts but these are the only ones I noticed. The Thunderlips/Rocky fight did appear much shorter than normal.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

PreviousNext

Return to Censorship Forum