Phenix City Story (1955)

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Phenix City Story (1955)

Postby Mark Meakin » 30 Jun 2014, 15:36

Two,maybe three of the likely BBFC cuts to this Phil Karlson thriller I've never seen (though the first looks rather laughable now).Just requested the cuts if available & the spelling is as listed & not Phoenix.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2y5MWCveMU
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: Phenix City Story (1955)

Postby m35541 » 30 Jun 2014, 19:02

I'd agree that both of those killings would be cut for sure. Reckon that killing of the little black girl would be cut from when the killer asks her who she is (and before she screams) to when the white mother runs out of the house to the dead body also cutting the shot of the girl's bloodied face. Despite the obvious dummy thats still a strong scene now as on-screen murder of a child. They would also likely cut the shot of the boy being hit off his bike by the car (see Underground USA for a similar cut).
This is out on R1 Dvd.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: Phenix City Story (1955)

Postby Mark Meakin » 02 Jul 2014, 08:40

m35541 wrote:I'd agree that both of those killings would be cut for sure. Reckon that killing of the little black girl would be cut from when the killer asks her who she is (and before she screams) to when the white mother runs out of the house to the dead body also cutting the shot of the girl's bloodied face. Despite the obvious dummy thats still a strong scene now as on-screen murder of a child. They would also likely cut the shot of the boy being hit off his bike by the car (see Underground USA for a similar cut).
This is out on R1 Dvd.

I know it's available in a boxset.I'd like to see this one & fingers crossed the cuts survive.The shot of the girl's bloodied face, along with the actual killings was another likely cut as you mention.According to info I've read somewhere the film was trimmed before release.
Further reading:
http://mondo70.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/p ... -1955.html
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Return to Censorship Forum