US TV versions of movies

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: US TV versions of movies

Postby HunterBFH » 25 Jun 2013, 23:58

Yes, I already mentioned it in my other post just recently! They used to dub all the entire "fuckin' " word into "friggin' " word thoughout of the film! It was ever so bad! :lol: I seen this again when it premiered on that channel (this time with the subtitles) after seeing it first in an uncensored version on video hire back in mid 80's. That's why Mark started this thread for! :lol:

Die Hard 3 was another, the same as per the theatrical/video version which I both have seen in! They finally showed it all uncut and uncensored (barring MPAA cuts) after I watched it again for the third time!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 26 Jun 2013, 07:19

HunterBFH wrote:Yes, I already mentioned it in my other post just recently! They used to dub all the entire "fuckin' " word into "friggin' " word thoughout of the film! It was ever so bad! :lol: I seen this again when it premiered on that channel (this time with the subtitles) after seeing it first in an uncensored version on video hire back in mid 80's. That's why Mark started this thread for! :lol:

Die Hard 3 was another, the same as per the theatrical/video version which I both have seen in! They finally showed it all uncut and uncensored (barring MPAA cuts) after I watched it again for the third time!

Die Hard With A Vengeance is on BBC1 next week & should be uncut like recent screenings on the channel.Yet the dvd release is still cut AFAIK.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 27 Jun 2013, 19:16

ITV used to screen T.V version of The Running Man which was a joke. The faked death of Arnies character in the Jesse Ventura fight was missing entirely. They would stick these films on during late night time slots dispite the heavy cutting.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 28 Jun 2013, 08:44

Luke wrote:ITV used to screen T.V version of The Running Man which was a joke. The faked death of Arnies character in the Jesse Ventura fight was missing entirely. They would stick these films on during late night time slots dispite the heavy cutting.

Yes I can remember the cut TV screenings.Predator lost Bill Duke's head blasting & the shot of Carl Weather's severed arm with gun still firing after it's blown off.At least it didn't cut Schwarzenegger's "Stick around" line like the bodged first dvd release using a cut German print.I went crazy & actually contacted Fox,but it was a good year or so before the improved 2-disc S.E was released.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 28 Jun 2013, 10:06

BBC1 once screened a version of the 15 rated Beverly Hills Cop 2 at about 6pm on a Saturday night and whole rafts of it were missing. For example, they cut most of the opening robbery to remove all of the smashing of the glass cases holding the jewelry.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 28 Jun 2013, 13:59

Why even bother trying to show BHC 2 during such a stupid time slot. C5 went througth a phase of screening 15-Rated films in the evening. They screened The Leone/Eastwood Westerns and just ruined them.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 28 Jun 2013, 14:39

Yeah - caught the last 20m of For a Few Dollars More in one of those slots and the whole flashback was missing as well as other footage.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 28 Jun 2013, 15:44

They ruined it Tim.

C5 even used to tone down the car wash scene in Cool Hand Luke when it was screened after the watershed. I rarely watch anything on T.V now so not sure what the censorship on T.V is like these days.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby moonworksfilms1 » 04 Sep 2013, 10:53

Things are better here in the US than they werr but some of those TV verions are so funny, man. Check out "Once upon a time in america" if you get chance. :lol:
moonworksfilms1

Postby Luke » 04 Sep 2013, 18:59

Do they still prepare different version's for T.V in the U.S?.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 05 Sep 2013, 06:13

Luke wrote:Do they still prepare different version's for T.V in the U.S?.

Kick Ass 2 would be interesting if they did.The lead villain would be now Motherlover :) .
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Cobblers » 05 Sep 2013, 16:23

I think they do, but perhaps not quite so thoroughly as they once did (do they still bother redubbing words like hell and goddamn these days?).

American TV standards confuse me - is there a difference between normal networks and basic cable? There seems to be a variation in basic cable standards - Breaking Bad very rarely has swearing, but when it does, I'm led to believe it's censored on its original broadcasts over there. The Shield, on the other hand, seems to have copious mild to moderate swearing, and some fairly strong sex and violence, but is also basic cable?
Cobblers

Postby m35541 » 05 Sep 2013, 16:45

yes - there is a difference. network TV is still living to 1950s standards and there is no nudity or bad language etc.

Cable TV - it seems to depend but stuff like Rome and Spartacus are made for various cable channels aren't they.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Cobblers » 07 Sep 2013, 02:37

They are, but I think there's a distinction between basic and premium cable.
Cobblers

Previous

Return to Censorship Forum