Revolution (1985) BFI release

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Revolution (1985) BFI release

Postby Mark Meakin » 25 Jan 2012, 15:50

I see the BFI have submitted the huge box office flop Revolution for release though it's not actually a bad film.It's been upgraded from a PG to a '12' as well though i always thought a PG was lenient.Surprised there are no cuts as there's a sequence albeit brief in my Dutch disc where two fighting cocks can be seen pecking at each other as they're held by their 'trainers' prior to a fight (Not shown in the movie).Similar footage was cut from a Miami Vice episode a few years back as well as At Close Range(1986).
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: Revolution (1985) BFI release

Postby Luke » 25 Jan 2012, 20:50

They passed a lot of cock fighting footage in The Rum Diaries Starring Johnny Depp Mark. Included slow-motion shots of the fight, becuase they didnt tie spurs to their feet it was bloodless. These birds fight in nature using there feet to kick each other as my Grandad had some amongst other birds. Humans make it bloody by putting spurs on the feet of the birds and forcing them to fight.
I tinhk bbeucas ethe Rum Diaries scene featured no blood they allowed the sequence to pass which was quite lengthy.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 26 Jan 2012, 18:11

Yes certainly shots of the animals fighting is not illegal but if it is being orchestrated by humans then it is.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 26 Jan 2012, 18:37

it's not actually a bad film

I thought the first half an hour up to the battle was quite good but it went to pieces after that and got bogged down in long irrelevancies (that fox hunt just went on for ever and had no particular narrative point) and lost its way. A quick splice to Yorktown and the war was all over. Then another quick splice and Nastassia turned up and of nowhere and we got a happy ending.

I'd rather the BFI spent its money on more obscure cult exploitation stuff rather than a mainstream flop but, hey, they have reconstructed Dracula so i can't complain.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Return to Censorship Forum