Hard Target The Directors Cut

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Postby Luke » 10 Nov 2006, 12:31

Thanks Mercury thats cleared things up for me.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby GavSalkeld » 30 Nov 2006, 02:23

I have the DC on DVD of Hard Target to compliment my R2 disc. Its great.
GAV
GavSalkeld

Postby Markgway » 14 Feb 2007, 00:00

I have a terrible quality copy of the HARD TARGET workprint. It's NOT a Director's Cut at all. Nobody knows what Woo's preferred cut would have been as he never had a chance to complete the editing after the MPAA moaned about the violence. I'm sure it would have been shorter than the overlong workprint though. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the 99m European cut was closest to what Woo had in mind because it restores MOST of the violence cut from the R print and is polished up like a finished product. That's just my theory though... I don't think Woo has ever confirmed or denied.
Markgway

Postby GavSalkeld » 14 Feb 2007, 00:11

Its not a *real* directors cut at all - it cant be, as its clearly an unfinished print with a temp score and the like. But Im a die-hard Woo fan and having watched this, it was clearly edited under his supervision - all his flourishes, trademarks and style is there. Im sure that once this had been scored and properly sound mix, THIS would have been the version he wanted to release.
GAV
GavSalkeld

Postby HunterBFH » 14 Feb 2007, 00:35

I have THAT terrible copy of the HT workprint as well! :lol: ...oh the sound was also very VERY poor!
Last edited by HunterBFH on 14 Feb 2007, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby GavSalkeld » 14 Feb 2007, 00:38

I have it on DVD and I cleaned up the sound and picture a lot - its much better now, I dehissed it and smoothed the image up quite a bit.
GAV
GavSalkeld

Postby HunterBFH » 14 Feb 2007, 00:47

Lucky u! :wink:

It's a good job that I (and of course we) got free MPAA cuts version on our UK VHS/DVD! :P But unfortuntaley NOT the DC version! :cry:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Markgway » 14 Feb 2007, 04:02

To be honest I much prefer the European Cut to the Workprint. Violence aside - it's much sharper as a movie and better edited. Most of the extra scenes were wisely discarded as they add precious little charcater or plot and some of them are just plain naff. I also hated the horribly pretentious and sickening animal slaughter montage. Not my idea of entertainment. I'm not surprised Universal wanted this cut from what was intended to be a blockbuster. That's why I love the UK DVD as it has 90% of the action intact and none of the flab. My only complaint is that it's non-anamorphic.
Markgway

Postby Luke » 14 Feb 2007, 13:38

Anyone know what the MPAA removed from the U.S version?. Suprised this had any problems as it featured no sex which is useal a big problem for the MPAA and the violence is more comic book like than nasty as its so over the top.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 14 Feb 2007, 14:29

Oh there are numerous of them that were cut for US release!..Steve, our fellow member may knows on this and he will answer these for you (if he possibly can! :lol: :wink: )
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Markgway » 14 Feb 2007, 19:15

The European Cut is roughly 2.5 mins longer than the R-rated cut and virtually all of that is violence or violence-related. Most of these cuts were made to reduce the number of bullets fired, bullet impacts and bloodspurts. The workprint has a bit more of the same than the European cut but not a lot extra.
Markgway

Postby Luke » 15 Feb 2007, 15:34

Always suprised the BBFC let this one pass at it was released at time when they were much stricter on violence. Wonder if its the u.s version the BBC used to screen as it was always trimmed even when shown late at night.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Hard Target (1994) R- rated Vs Unrated Versions

Postby HunterBFH » 11 Jul 2011, 17:43

This link which takes you to Movie Censorship site regarding the above title HERE! It will show a large amount of cuts which were removed by MPAA for US screening and other releases.

We, brits got the full uncut/unrated version for UK video release! We later were very surprised to discover the US version were heavily cut!

Its strange...currently in US..HT is still heavily cut whilst Lethal Weapon 4 is uncut. In UK its vice versa! :?
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: Hard Target (1994) R- rated Vs Unrated Versions

Postby Luke » 12 Jul 2011, 13:39

It amazed me the BBFC passed it intact in the 90s, Eraser didnt even pass intact with an 18 which I felt was less violent. I first saw this on the BBC which I recall was edited, not sure if it was the R version or just edited by the BBC.
Still one of ym faverite Van Damme films dispite it being more gunplay than Martial Arts.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: Hard Target (1994) R- rated Vs Unrated Versions

Postby HunterBFH » 12 Jul 2011, 14:31

Agreed. One of best Van Damme action films. :D

Got myself the three copies of this film in its full unrated version on video and DVD plus a workprint (a god awful PQ) dvd.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Previous

Return to Censorship Forum