Obscene Publications Act

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Obscene Publications Act

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Jun 2011, 07:09

I am trying to understand regarding the law of Obsence Publications Act law. Now we know Human Centipede 2 was banned by the BBFC due to the above mentioned and wants to know what does OPA relates to?

Am I right? Does this means because of some nudity should NOT be shown OUTSIDE the home/workplace or town etc....for example an 18 years old blonde woman standing naked at beside of the London Bridge in the film which would be in breach of that law?

I may considered this could be due the same thing to one of a well known films I Spit On your Grave, both the original and the re-make. Both were cut due to that as I can see why after having looked into the screenshots on Movie Censorship site which shows some of them had been zoomed in to avoid us, the brits seeing the victim's bottom (and her private part) I understand its only a film and that actress had agreed to do the acting in it. I know its a bit silly law when it comes to films but that's the british law that they (everyone even the studios or distributors) must accept and have these edited out.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: Obscene Publications Act

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Jun 2011, 07:40

Ah I think I get the picture!...its something to those words "depraved and corrupted"

It means for example..if someone or more of them done to a victim so evil like in the film ISOYG as well Murder Set Pieces which shows a couple of victims being tortured so badly (or mutilated) and/or beaten to death. "Grotesque" a Japanese film is another. these would be related to OPA...Is that right?
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: Obsence Publications Acts

Postby m35541 » 29 Jun 2011, 08:54

Isn't it the Obscene Publications Act rather than Obscene Public Acts?

My recollection is that it says that a work is 'obscene' and therefore likely to prosecution if, considered as a whole, it is likely to deprave and corrupt. A fairly high hurdle actually and so-called 'morality' campaingers are not happy with the wording.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: Obsence Publications Act

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Jun 2011, 10:16

Thanks Tim for pointing that out. That subject is now rectified.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: Obsence Publications Act

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Jun 2011, 10:31

Thanks Vin. yes I already read it. Its hard for myself to understand WHAT does OPA mean to? I think that is what excatly like I stated in my second. post?

Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Return to Censorship Forum