The Walking Dead (TV) DVD Edits

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: The Walking Dead (TV) DVD Edits

Postby ClarenceJBoddicker » 25 May 2011, 15:00

They wouldn't be cut compulsorily, of course, but they might push the rating up to 18. Would be interesting to see those versions submitted. The same thing happened with a few episodes of The Shield — the BBFC would be nuts to pass the uncut rape from 3.05 in a 15, and 2.02 also contained a brutal torture scene, both pre-cut for whatever reason before the BBFC ever saw them.
ClarenceJBoddicker

Postby HunterBFH » 25 May 2011, 18:40

Clarence..so what you are saying these episodes of The Sheild ARE uncut and in on the DVD..Correct? One of the DVD boxsets of this show carries an 18 certificate!

Makes me wonder if this applies the same to Ian McShane's Deadwood and the 3 series of this show on DVDs are ALL rated 18! I note on the back of the DVD boxsets (TS & DW) stating something like this "there may be some scenes have been edited"

I have all the episodes of both shows in the DVD boxsets here. :wink:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 25 May 2011, 19:03

Just been investigating and discovered the souces on Ths Shield. Yes you are correct the two episodes are cut. "Dead Soldiers" from series 2 totalling 8 seconds and "Mum" from series 3 totalling 23 seconds. More episode is cut "Post Partum" from series 5 totalling 20 seconds. Due to an 18 certificate for this episode was to the audio commentary. Stupid of the distributor to have this episode cut whilst the audio commentary been left intact after the BBFC gave it an 18 uncut! :x

but these doesn't mention as "cut" on the BBFC website. so these are likley to have been pre-cut for our UK DVD releases anyway. Though on the US R1 DVDs these are uncut. Bah! :evil:

I'll add these as well this sbove title into UK DVD Cut list later.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 25 May 2011, 19:22

I havent had the time to give this series a serous look having only cuaght a couple of episodes at friends houses. It really looks really good though, what Ive seen is far better than any Zombie Film form the past eight years, with the exception of 28 Days later.
I like how they have gone back to the old school Zombie look thats haggard and gnarly, with a slow pondering walk.

Bad news about the edits though, a guy at work has the U.S boxset is that Uncut?.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 25 May 2011, 19:28

Luke wrote:Bad news about the edits though, a guy at work has the U.S boxset is that Uncut?.
As mentioned in my post..yes it is.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 25 May 2011, 20:53

I have the US box set, though have only watched the first episode so far.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 04 Jun 2011, 15:04

Now got the entire series to watch when i get the time, ill look out for the edits.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Jim » 21 Jun 2013, 11:30

All R2 European versions of series 1 of The Walking Dead(DVD/Blu-Ray) including UK were taken from a cut German TV master. Now it has been reissued on German R2 uncut after many fan complaints to the distributor. R1 DVD/Blu-Ray is completely uncut, but the import tax is vastly exorbitant over at Amazon etc.
Jim

Postby Mark Meakin » 21 Jun 2013, 12:37

Jim wrote:All R2 European versions of series 1 of The Walking Dead(DVD/Blu-Ray) including UK were taken from a cut German TV master. Now it has been reissued on German R2 uncut after many fan complaints to the distributor. R1 DVD/Blu-Ray is completely uncut, but the import tax is vastly exorbitant over at Amazon etc.

Now I know of the German uncut R2 version, I'll probably get this for Christmas.Thanks Jim.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Jim » 22 Jun 2013, 20:38

No idea when it is out Mark, but read about it on a film site approx month back(only drawback will be the cover/sleeve etc in German, but make sure you get that reissue as I'd imagine that the 1st DVD issue will be still going the rounds), so it should be a good bet to get it for Crimbo. :) I was going to get R1 from Amazon but the import tax made the price double. :shock:

Info on German re-release:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=5178
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... ost7642533

Here's an R3 priced in sterling. More or less same as R1 price with added shipping. Importing it from Europe runs the risk of getting cut series by mistake etc.

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/DVD/walking-dead ... p/22184371
Jim

Postby moonworksfilms1 » 04 Sep 2013, 10:48

Yeah, here in the US we got the uncut ones for sure.
moonworksfilms1

Postby Jim » 08 Jul 2015, 20:56

After watching the latest Walking Dead series it made me realize how far this show has pushed the boundaries even on TV, some of the gore scenes on show would surely have got the MPAA in a fluster if they had been in a film and got an immediate NC17 rating or cut for a hard R rating! :shock: Thank God for independent channels.
Jim

Postby Luke » 09 Jul 2015, 10:20

You are right Jim, DareDevil series is another good example and far more brutal than anything seen in a Marvel cinema release. A lot of cinema productions as we know are aiming at the PG-13 audience whilst T.V appears to targeting adults more. The Vikings is another T.V production the MPAA would have problems with if given a cinema release.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Jim » 10 Jul 2015, 09:40

It makes me wonder Luke, how the new Walking Dead TV spin off series 'Fear The Walking Dead' will proceed. Will it bring back some suspense and actual terror of the zombie apocalypse or just descend into emotionless kills and gore which is killing this genre. There's just no edge of your seat suspense anymore in this series, hopefully spin off-this August- will kick start it again? 8-)
Jim

Postby Cobblers » 10 Jul 2015, 12:04

It's a curious world, broadcasting standards in the US - The Shield was made for basic cable, which isn't quite as free and easy as something like HBO. Plenty of violence and sexual situations but no actual outright nudity or stronger swearing. Just watched the TV series of Fargo, made for FX, another basic cable channel, and it's the same, plenty of bloody shootings and stabbings but barely a single curse!
Cobblers

Next

Return to Censorship Forum