Your Thoughts on Violence in Today's Cinema?

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Your Thoughts on Violence in Today's Cinema?

Postby Luke » 12 Oct 2010, 19:44

Film will always date etc but the level of violence in cinema now is greater than ever. Of course there has always been horror and violence but the noose has been loosened by the censors of today. Once you have shocked people by a certain level of violence you have to up that to get a reaction. Does this mean that cinema will perhaps never get tamer but more graphic as long as the censors continue to relax?.
There has also been a lot of talk here about films that were once shocking now appearing much tamer. Which leads me onto my next thought. Do people here feel that if a film now looks less violent due to more recent violent films, that it should be given a lower cert?.
Looking how films date I wonder what level of violence and gore in future cinema will be like, to make the films of today tame?.

Just wondering how other people might see cinema going in the future?. These thoughts have been inspired by comments about graphic films that now appear much tamer than they once did.

Hope people understand what Im trying to say here :D
Felt it might start a discussion.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: Thoughts?

Postby Mercury » 12 Oct 2010, 20:05

As long as there is an audience for extreme violence then they will continue to keep making them, if people weren't interested then they would have to stop because there would be no profit in it for them. Even if the BBFC were to start getting strict again it wouldn't make any difference because most countries allow these films anyway. I really can't see anything changing. I don't think mainstream films are that violent but a lot of the underground stuff is incredibly violent and wouldn't be seen here anyway, not legally that is.

I think films are bound to date after a while, I've seen films which I thought were very violent years ago but now when I re-watch them they seem very tame, this is not simply because I've seen a lot worse since then, but just that as the years pass by the style and effects that at one time made it so shocking seem so dated after a while.

I don't think films deserve a lower rating though just because another film comes along and makes it look tame.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 13 Oct 2010, 16:54

I don't think films deserve a lower rating though just because another film comes along and makes it look tame.

I agree with you on that one Mecury, I think mainstream films are getting more violent though. Look at the last Rambo it was like the the first three rolled all into one and them some.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :D
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 19 Jun 2012, 10:37

Anyway, that was more off-topic than I would have liked, so I'll move it back with the agreement that action and sci/fi mainstream films are becoming more violent, with more of a focus on murder than previously seen, I've seemed to notice.

I've not seen much of the really violent films in the past 10 years but the advance of CGI has, IMHO, made more graphic gore possible but is also hardly realistic. Michael Caine stabbing Glynn Edwards in the chest in Get Carter still carries more impact than CGI heads being severed in a swords and sandals epic.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 19 Jun 2012, 11:26

Yeah the digital stabbing in The Expendables that the BBFC cut really looked fake.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 19 Jun 2012, 12:19

You seen one scene in Ultimate Force which stars Ross Kemp which involves of him sliding the evil Colonel's head off with a sword! That made me laugh! True!..and hey that's not done by using CGI...most definitely by using a dummy! I seen many films without of use of CGI, involving characters being implied with any kinds of sharp weapon! I hate when filmmakers doing it by using CGI cos it don't look good at all!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 20 Jun 2012, 12:14

Welcome to the forums Matt, it was interesting to read your response to my question. Always nice to hear other peoples opinions :) .

CGI blood and gore does look really bad with a few exceptions. I find it often works well when used alongside traditonal squibs effects. However a lot of films now look like videos games due to the SFX. Perhaps Hollywood is doing this on purpose so the violence appears more comic book?.

Recently watched an interesting Sam Peckinpah Documentary that mentioned how he toned down The Wild Bunch. Early test audiences began to laugth during the finale as the violence got more over the top. Orignaly the sequence was much longer if you can imagine that. Peckinpah beleaved he'd had gone too far and re-cut the film. The second cut got a different reaction with people being disgusted by what they saw instead.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 20 Jun 2012, 13:21

The Expendables (see my review) looks like a video game and contains violence that would have been heavily cut in the Ferman era (15 rated now) but its incredibly rapidly edited so you never get a clear view of anything and many of the CGI shots are ludicrous. People are blown to pieces by single bullet shots etc. People also get beaten to a pulp and then get up again a few seconds later with no ill effects. I thought the cert was about right.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 20 Jun 2012, 14:05

The violence in a lot of Hollywood movies is so cartoony now it's lost it's impact though it's noticable how much more violent films aimed at teens seem to be getting in the last few years (Transformers,G.I Joe & the like).Short of murdering the likes of Tom Cruise on camera there's not really much further they can push things now.Hard-hitting realistic violence that shows the real consequences of such acts should always have a place.Trouble is the MPAA will allow hundreds to be maimed & killed in the likes of the aforementioned films then take exception to fleeting if admittedly vicious moments in the films of Scorcese & Cronenberg.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 20 Jun 2012, 16:13

The Expendables does belong in the 15-Cert, many films have used the quick edits style to get away with stronger violence. Some of these movies would be up-graded if some of the shots lasted longer.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Return to Censorship Forum