Yesterday's Enemy (1959) Dvd Censored US Print

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Yesterday's Enemy (1959) Dvd Censored US Print

Postby Mark Meakin » 22 Sep 2010, 07:33

I watched the unrelentingly grim Hammer war movie Yesterday's Enemy for the first time last night.The BBFC passed the film without a single cut in 1959,but the US distributor Columbia Pictures requested the removal of the word 'Bastard' from Reels 1,5,7 & 9.I assumed the recent UK disc would be taken from the uncut UK theatrical print but the offending word is completely missing as I far as I can see.In Reel 1 certainly the word seems to have been replaced with 'Basket',and I personally did not hear it in the rest of the movie.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: Yesterday's Enemy (1959) Dvd Censored US Print

Postby m35541 » 22 Sep 2010, 08:54

Interesting.

All of these Sony releases except for Two Faces of Dr Jekyll (where someone did some research to correct a known problem) are the US prints. The Gorgon for example has Chris Lee first in the credits. In the UK prints Peter Cushing is credited first.

Camp on Blood Island suffers what seems to be a similar dialogue deletion (or substitution) near the beginning of the film when someone refers to a woman collaborator.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 22 Sep 2010, 09:01

m35541 wrote:Interesting.

All of these Sony releases except for Two Faces of Dr Jekyll (where someone did some research to correct a known problem) are the US prints. The Gorgon for example has Chris Lee first in the credits. In the UK prints Peter Cushing is credited first.

Camp on Blood Island suffers what seems to be a similar dialogue deletion (or substitution) near the beginning of the film when someone refers to a woman collaborator.

I've yet to pick up The Camp On Blood Island.Hopefully Secret Of Blood Island will eventually turn up in a Hammer War movie set in the US.According to the booklet the original soundtrack was also sent to Columbia to preserve an uncut negative for foreign prints.If that's indeed the case then the US set (If released) could be restored if anybody's bothered.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 05 Jan 2012, 13:01

Marcus Hearn's new book on Hammer contains a copy of a letter to Hammer from Columbia's US office requesting the deletion of 'bastard' from various reels in order to get an MPAA seal.

There is also a similar letter in the book re: Hell is a City where all sorts of changes were made for the US version including the removal of all scenes featuring Maxine Audrey (who plays Stanley Baker's wife and has a key supporting role) as well as a her screen credit. Luckily, the version on DVD is the UK version.

I also spotted a dialogue diference in The Damned between the UK and US versions. When Shirley Anne Field is lying on McDonald Carey's boat she says “Oh, just ducky” in the DVD. In the old UK VHS of the 87m version it is “Oh, just dandy”. The DVD version is the UK version albeit with the US title.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Return to Censorship Forum