I Spit On Your Grave (2010 Remake)

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: I Spit On Your Grave (2010 Remake)

Postby Mercury » 30 Jan 2011, 21:24

It's going to come as a bit of a shock but I don't agree with the BBFC's decision. More on this later.

Yes the film was fairly interesting, certainly interesting to see how it differed from the original in the way it was made and of course the sexual violence. In some way it was quite similar but in other ways it was quite different. But on the whole I did find this version less reprehensible than the original. The director must have known that there was no way it was ever going to get an uncut R and with the unrated option over there he could pretty much do what he wanted but in the end it was still a fair bit tamer than the original.

Again Jennifer's ordeal is a long drawn out affair, I mean it really goes on for some time. covering at least 30m of film, very similar to the oiginal, but there are some gaps in between. In the original it was almost continuous. Also there are 3 main assault scenes, just like the original, however in the remake there are just 2 rape sequences as opposed to the 3 in the original. The first assault is mostly just terrorisation and humiliation. But again even this scene really goes on a bit (10m in length). Jennifer unrealistically manages to escape. A short while later we're back in the cabin and her ordeal starts all over again. This is when it gets more serious. Yes each of these 3 sections tends to be dragged out for as long as possible. Problem is the script which has nothing to offer but the rape followed by revenge. So they have to find a way of extending these scenes for as long as possible.

As mentioned there is considerably less nudity in the remake, in fact there's hardly any at all. The original here went way over board. Also as the BBFC say there is more humiliation in the remake. Well that's true. However I have to say I'm a bit surprised with the BBFC in cutting this film, despite the length of Jennifer's ordeal it's still no where as vile as the original. Most of it is threats and humiliation. I mean there's no doubt the 2 rape scenes are very strong maybe even exploitative but as mentioned they do avoid nudity, apart from some very brief shots.

It will be interesting to see exactly what the BBFC cuts are, because all they say is 17 cuts to 3 sequences of sexual violence and humiliation. Well god knows what the cuts were to the first sequence, possibly the gun fellatio? If it is this scene then I'm afraid the BBFC must be getting stricter because although it's disturbing Jennifer does keep her clothes on here. Even I wouldn't have cut this scene but I can't think what else here they could have cut. I'm not saying it's a stupid cut but I really don't think it necessary. Other films have included similar shots that have been passed. Anyway this appears to be the "humiliation" cut.

The BBFC also say they have removed nudity from the rapes. It's not clear which one they're referring to (scene 2 or 3)? Well actually I find this quite incredible. In the second section there is on'y very brief nudity ie bare buttocks shot of Jennifer when they forcibly remove her underwear. Shot last several seconds. Also the BBFC as we know mainly object to frontal nudity. But this appears to be what they cut from this scene. Can't think what else they could have cut here. Jennifer keeps her top on during this sequence.

This is what I find rather baffling the BBFC objecting to the use of the camcorder. Yes there is a guy who who is capturing everything on his camcorder. The BBFC have never made any such objection before. In the Brave One, Jodie Foster's ordeal was captured on camcorder by the gang - passed uncut. Of course here it wasn't a rape scene. But does this mean all rape scenes captured in a similar way on camcorder will be cut? Sorry I just don't see what the big deal was about the use of the camcorder. I just don't see how it makes the scene more harmful to viewers. The BBFC say it encourgages viewer complicity. The BBFC here really seem to have lost it.

I have to say I either understand the BBFC's reasoning for cutting most films like this and even support the cuts. Sadly here they have got it wrong. Expect the cuts to be waived in the not too distant future. I Spit remake is nothing like Serbian Film. And also as we know I Spit was passed uncut in Australia. Now you know why.

The MPAA make 110 cuts just seems ridiculous.

Then of course ther's Jennifer's revenge. Much more violent but totally unbelievable. Some how Jennifer devising these Saw- like death traps was just very far fetched. Also she was only about 8 stone, yet she manages to carry these hefty blokes around. Also she was taking a huge chance in the way she went around this as she could easily have been over powered had she made a mistake. She didn't seem to be carrying a gun.

Although I didn't agree with the cuts that's not to say I liked the film - I didn't. Still I preferred it to the original which I have always hated anyway. I just didn't find the remake quite in the same depraved class as the original as it did at least show some restraint.

Check it out Vince.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby AsparagusTrevor » 30 Jan 2011, 23:14

Interesting review, very similar to my opinions on the film which is reassuring!

Another disagreement with the BBFC cuts too, will Vince make it a hat-trick? It's a shame as the BBFC were mainly getting it right over the past few years, this seems like a baffling step backwards.
AsparagusTrevor
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 31 Jan 2011, 07:47

Will keep an eye to see if it happens again. I'm guessing this is just a one off though.

Yeah I could understand the film being cut 10 years ago, maybe even 5 years but in 2011 it does seem a bit harsh.

Run Bitch Run was clearly inspired by I Spit and Last House, contained some fairly strong sexual violence but was passed uncut. Obviously the film doesn't compare with the original I Spit but it's still pretty strong stuff. Better film as well.

Still waiting to see if I Spit remake will be cut in New Zealand, as they can often be similar to the BBFC over there. I'm betting that it won't be.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby DrInTardis » 31 Jan 2011, 14:28

I saw the unrated version over the weekend and have to say I agree with what everybody else here is saying - the cuts are very harsh and somewhat baffling in what we thought were more enlightened times. I can't really find any reasoning for making any cuts at all let alone 17. As Mercury says, there is very little frontal nudity during the rapes. Maybe the reputation of the original has something to do with it - but that does seem unlikely.

I actually quite enjoyed the film - it is quite well made and the acting is OK. The final act's revenge scenes while totally unbelievable are pretty strong stuff - the anal shot-gun scene particularly.

If the late Mr Ferman was still in charge it would have probably been rejected or at least very, very heavily cut so we must be thankful for small mercies!
DrInTardis

Postby Mercury » 31 Jan 2011, 17:54

Nice to hear from you again, Doctor Who. If it's a one off that's fine, I think we can live with it, but if it happens again then that will be cause for concern. But yeah I think they were just finding excuses to cut the film. The cuts they have made to this film have not been required in recent years, and also they are exaggerating on their site about how severe the content is, especially about the nudity. To be honest though as soon as I saw they were objecting to the camcorder footage I knew something wasn't quite right.

Hopefully the BBFC will be seeing more of these type of films this year because it will be interesting to see what happens.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 31 Jan 2011, 18:32

Id like to know how far a film would have to go to be cut by the BBFC now? in terms of action. I know sexual violence and animal cruelty are still sure ways of having a film cut. However action/Martial Arts film rarely if at all seem to get edited. If James Femran thought 90s/80s action film such as Out For Justice was too much how would he reacted to the last Rambo?.
I prefer the BBFC of today than how it was in the 90s, my one gripe is there sometimes giving films a lenient rating. This is mainly in the 12A/15 catogry as i feel most 18s are justified. I recently saw The Last Seven rated 18 for very storng gorey violence. The film did contian such scenes but looked tamed next to many 15rated films.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 31 Jan 2011, 19:03

I don't think action/martial arts will ever be cut again at the 18 rating as they mostly feature men on men violence which the BBFC would never touch no matter how sadistic or brutal.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 01 Feb 2011, 20:16

Mercury would violence agianst a female character suffer if it was male/female fight?. I know the context would effect it a great deal as many such fights have passed intact. For newer film fans it must be hard to imagine the BBFC were ever so hard on action films.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 01 Feb 2011, 20:36

If the fight contained no sexual elements then it's highly unlikely they would although the likelyhood of cuts would increase if the victim/opponent was a woman. They've pretty much given up though cutting non sexual violence. They do in fact say if the scene was very detailed and was seen to be promoting the violence then they might intervene, this is in regards to non sexual violence, but I doubt they ever will. The cutting of non sexual violence does not go down well with the public. So yes if the guy was brutally beating the woman even in a rather prolonged way it would pass.

There was that fight in Escape from a Brothel between a woman and a man, might still be cut here. The blows the woman took to her breasts and groin might have to go. It was certainly an outrageous sequence.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 02 Feb 2011, 20:19

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mercury. Ive never seen Escape form the Brothel so carnt pass comment on that. Ill leave it there so we dont get too much of the topic.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Jim » 06 Feb 2011, 12:32

The remake film should not have cut and could have survived uncut at 18 easily had it not been for the Media et al. The BBFC like The MPAA felt under pressure with this one due to original 'I Spit's notoriety and subject matter. Though I did not enjoy this well acted remake nor thought much of the crappy original, I have seen far worse sexualised film violence e.g uncut version of Death Wish 2 which is atrociously bad.
Jim

Postby Mercury » 06 Feb 2011, 20:00

It was Westminster council who adviced Frightfest to submit this and Serbian Film to the BBFC before it could be shown at the festival last year, all the other films were given the all clear, interesting then that both films ending up requiring cuts. As far as I know the council have never done this before in the history of Frightfest. I think though that if a certain council was to give permission for the uncut I Spit for a festival screening it wouldn't cause any where near as much fuss as Serbian.

I look forward to seeing what the line up at this year's festival will be. They'll probably end up playing it safe. So we can forget Philosophy of a Knife :wink:
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 19 Feb 2011, 20:52

Well I find those cuts rather unbelievable in 2011. Seems like they wanted to remove every last glimpse of nudity even shots lasting 2/3 seconds. And the shots which don't even include nudity eg the dancing and gun/ bottle felatio. To be honest I thought the BBFC had got passed this stage some years ago, some of these cuts here are very similar to what they used to cut 10 years ago to films Like House on the Edge of the Park, Cannibal Holocaust etc where all sight of nudity was pretty much automatically removed even 1 second shots. I see no reason why the camcorder shots should be removed but eventually it will happen again another film will come out with somebody else using a camcorder to film a rape scene..and the BBFC will have to cut it. It won't be a matter of choice.

There's no doubt that I Spit remake is exploitative and obviously very unpleasant but personally in 2011 I think they should have passed it especially for the film classification.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 20 Feb 2011, 07:43

Yeah the camcorder cuts especially were nonsensical. They also cut shots of Matthew's naked rear during the rape, even though they had passed identical shots in the Last House on the Left remake. The humiliating "dance" certainly made me feel uncomfortable but I wouldn't cut it though. I don't think it crossed the line. And also whatabout the similar scene in I Dismember Mama where the woman is forced to sing and dance topless, also previously cut by the BBFC. This wasn't part of a rape scene but there was more emphasis on nudity.

Yes I also didn't find it a huge improvement on the original.

Have to say like the original I can't see The I Spit remake turning up on TV.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby bes » 21 Feb 2011, 17:52

Those cuts are bloody stupid; the camcorder ones are nonsensical. There is a '12' cert episode of Walker Texas Ranger where a gang of young thugs go around assaulting homeless people while filming the vicious attacks with a camcorder and laughing; they also subsequently play the attacks back at home, ala Henry; how that can be acceptable in a '12' while this is supposedly unacceptable for an '18' is frankly beyond reason.
They've passed shots of gun fellatio before too; Beyond the Valley of the Dolls anyone? As for the removal of underwear and subsequent showing of bare bum, the mainstream likes of Outlaw Josie Wales depicts similar, as do countless other films passed by the BBFC. The only part that they could possibly justify cutting would be the panning shot of the naked body. I can see the likes of Savage Streets still being cut if this film's backwards treatment is anything to go by.
bes
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

PreviousNext

Return to Censorship Forum