18 rating for "smoking" films

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: 18 rating for "smoking" films

Postby HunterBFH » 02 Aug 2010, 16:39

Vincenzo wrote:Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy films regularly feature smoking scenes.
Good point there! Their films should be slapped with an 18 certificate if those idiots at the Plymouth Council let their local cinema/s re-release these during everybody's summer break!

Oh yes! Not forgetting The Marx Brothers too! They were (and still are as today) famous for that too!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 02 Aug 2010, 18:36

Watching the old blacvk and white films you can see how societys stance on smoking has changed. In the 50s films everyone seems to smoke and its odd to find someone who doesnt. Also the fact they seem to pull a cigerette out everywhere restuarant, kitchen etc. Now if people smoke they dont have the choice to do it anywhere which is rightly so.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 03 Aug 2010, 08:48

The amount of smoking in some older movies features on the absurd. In a lot of B movies it seems to have been used as a device to 'up' the running time as people constantly offering others cigarrettes serves no plot purpose.

Some interesting ones:

In The High and the Mighty (1954) the entire aeroplane cockpit crew are smoking at one point

in Village of the Damned (1960) GP laurence naismith lights up in his surgery whilst talking to patients.

In Fire Maidens From Outer Space (1956) the entire crew light up in relief (inside their spaceship) when landing on the 13th moon of Jupiter.

In Double Indemnity (1944) it was used quite well with Fred MacMurray always lighting Edward G Robinson's cigarette showing that he was one step ahead of him. At the very end, after Robinson has bested MacMurray, it is Robinson who lights MacMurray's fag.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 03 Aug 2010, 18:42

Your right, there also seems to be complete lack of concern for smoking infront of children and babies too. The 40s/50s most have been the most lax times for smokers when you could pretty much light up anywhere work,public transport,bars.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 04 Aug 2010, 09:21

Smoking was also used as a device to help actors who did not know what to do with their hands during scenes. Presumably "acting" (or getting a better actor who did know how to use their hands) was not on the agenda.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 04 Aug 2010, 09:34

m35541 wrote:Smoking was also used as a device to help actors who did not know what to do with their hands during scenes. Presumably "acting" (or getting a better actor who did know how to use their hands) was not on the agenda.
Interesting...I didn't know that!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 04 Aug 2010, 10:21

Vincenzo wrote:Out of interest do we have any smokers here?

Never smoked.Neither has my wife though both her parents are (were in her mothers case) chain-smokers.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby AsparagusTrevor » 04 Aug 2010, 12:14

I've tried cigarettes, really can't stand them. I've had cigars before, quite like them, but it's once in a blue moon I smoke one, like the last time was well over a year ago.
AsparagusTrevor
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 04 Aug 2010, 12:25

I used to smoke when I was ...er younger. Been told off by parents saying its not good for me! Once got causght smoking in the hotel by Dad room whilst on holiday in Spain over 25 years ago! :lol:

My late father used to smoke tobacco until he was in his early 60's and quit due to bad coughs. My mother gave up smoking tool. My brother and his lovely wife don't smoke at all! :) ...but my sister still smokes though :?
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 04 Aug 2010, 14:03

Not sure if i heard this here but didnt Bruce Willis get extra money for agreeing to smoke a certina brand in Die Hard?. Or wasnt it something to do with making sure his character was to be seen smoking frequently?.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Previous

Return to Censorship Forum