18 rating for "smoking" films

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

18 rating for "smoking" films

Postby Mercury » 14 Aug 2009, 07:31

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 194253.stm

I just find that completely ridiculous in fact laughable.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: 18 rating for "smoking" films

Postby AsparagusTrevor » 14 Aug 2009, 08:04

That is totally stupid. Yet I find it unsurprising, which is quite worrying.
AsparagusTrevor
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 14 Aug 2009, 11:39

So some of James Bond films will be "18" when they re-release these films again in future! :?

Even Jaws too! Roy Scheider do smoke in that film!

EDIT-: Ah no! I got it wrong..it ONLY applies to new films..if that new law is kept into force!

Bah! :evil:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 14 Aug 2009, 13:39

This is complete madness many films which dont deserve an 18 are gonna get one, or is it a case of cutting out the smoking to gian a lower rating lol.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 14 Aug 2009, 13:46

It would only apply in Liverpool and the practical result would be that all cinemas in Liverpool would close down. There is no way distributors would comb through movies looking for smoking scenes and then cutting them out especially for Liverpool. Cheaper just to give everything an 18 or shut the cinemas down. Don't know how many movies feature people smoking these days but I assume its quite a few (there is no context justification and the hurdle for the anti-smoking message is ricidulously high so a mere recation by another charcater saying don't smoke wouldn'rt appear to be enough for example).. Once a couple of Disney cartoons start getting 18's then everyone would just laugh at this.

It doesn't affect the DVD rating as local councils can't control that (under the VRA instead) - the council seem to have picked that up at least in their questionaire - neither does it affect what is shown on TV.

The questionnaire is also ridiculously long - must run to 20-25 screens on my PC - and clearly designed by someone with a lot of time on his/her hands.

Not really sure how it got this far - i also assumed councils just chucked all suggestions from PCT's straight in the bin.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 14 Aug 2009, 13:52

Whats the point in doing this if T.V doesnt apply kinda cancels it out, there not going to acheive much if they do go througth with this.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Markgway » 14 Aug 2009, 14:06

Means filmmakers would no longer have to use gratuitous sex and violence to get an adult rating... just have someone light up a fag. :lol:
Markgway

Postby Movie Mad » 14 Aug 2009, 14:45

Outrageous. Who the hell filled out the BBFC's survey recently? I'm betting Mediawatch - if this gets implimented, it would be even more ridiculous than "one f-word to get a 15-rated trailer", otherwise get an 18 policy".
Movie Mad
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 14 Aug 2009, 17:00

Outrageous. Who the hell filled out the BBFC's survey recently? I'm betting Mediawatch

This is nothing to do with the BBFC - its from Liverpool City Council.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 14 Aug 2009, 19:20

I hope the Scousers are gonna start rioting at the council if they (the council) make that stupid decision to do that!...

I also hope their local cinemas will lose their profit if that happens...hmmm :roll:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 18 Dec 2009, 18:05

Good news! :D
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby alexl » 03 Mar 2010, 17:51

The thing is if you walk outside the cinema you can see someone smoking outside.
alexl

Postby Luke » 15 Jun 2010, 12:52

LMAO this had me rolling on the floor with laughter what a nutjob idea this one is. Just like how Tescos beleave upping beer prices will reduce binging and cut out underage drinkers lol. Moinvg images do influence people its fact so much wouldnt be spent on T.V adverts otherwise, children been more succeptable to this. However giving films 18certs for smoking content is just obsurd, it has about as much effect as a fart in a hurricane. Do they not consider the whole vastness of modern media the interent, t.v home entertianment all feautring nicotine use, what about magazines too?. Getting rid of smoking adverts on billboards and magazines did little to reduce sales i doubt this will.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 30 Jul 2010, 16:46

The A-Team is rated 12A and you do realise Colonel Smith always does smoke a cigar. I wonder if these idoitics from at the council already given their local cinemas an 18 for this film because of it!!!!

I very doubt children / youths would want to smoke cigar just because they want to imitate their favourite character Col. Smith? *cough, cough. eurgh cough cough*

Grow-up Councillors! :x
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 02 Aug 2010, 16:07

Yeah Vince, imagine seeing one of their films with an 18cert on it.

"Due to strong and frequent scenes nicotine abuse, Way Out West has been rated 18".

Looks like any Humphrey Bogart films are gonna be up there with the 80s video nasties, for there excessive and glamouring scenes of nicotine use.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Next

Return to Censorship Forum