TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Postby Mercury » 05 Mar 2009, 18:24

That was 1987.

Yes First Blood was first shown in early 87 on BBC1 (in a cut version) but after that incident announced that they would never show it again. I knew that it was just a matter of time before they would.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 05 Mar 2009, 18:40

I watched that film again on BBC1 in that year because I required to watch it with subtitles! :wink: The BBC did screen this shortly BEFORE when the Hungerford massacre begun!

Makes me wonder what was cut for BBC screening back then? Do you know Merc? :roll: BTW merc, you are correct it WAS in '87 and not '89! You certainly have a good memory! :lol:

Fact about Hungerford Masscare HERE!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 05 Mar 2009, 19:28

Minimal cuts were made. Back then the BBC were still refusing to allow films to go out with the f-word so all such words were removed. It's a long time ago now but I remember some of the violence was cut as Rambo makes his escape from the police station, just several seconds really. No other violence cuts anywhere else.

Regarding the f-word - I think the first film to go out on TV that included this word was Marathon Man in 1980 on ITV.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby alexl » 05 Mar 2009, 21:39

On a related matter; after the James Bulger child's play 3 fiasco. Sky screened Child's Play 1 & 2 around the time it happened.

Regarding the f-word - I think the first film to go out on TV that included this word was Marathon Man in 1980 on ITV.

Also was Goodfellas cut for swearing on its first screening. It's hard to imagine films being cut for swearing on TV unless it's the "C" and even then it's rare.
alexl

Postby Markgway » 06 Mar 2009, 00:42

Sky Movies showed Child's Play 3 roughly twice in October 1993 and then cancelled further screenings when the video nasty shit hit the fan. It was ages before they screened the first or second films again (Part 2 had last played earlier in that year anyways). Cowards.
Markgway

Postby m35541 » 06 Mar 2009, 09:31

That whole episode re: Child's Play 3 was a bit strange. In the trial the issue of "Video Nasties" wasn't raised at all. In his spiel at the sentencing the judge speculated that violent videos might have been a factor although no such mitigation or excuse had been offered by the defence. Subsequently, journalists went through the video rental records of the parents of one of the killers and found that, among the films they had hired out, one was Child's Play 3. Certain tabloids then "linked" the events in Child's Play 3 to the murder (I've actually never seen CP3 but I would guess that the links were just as tenuous as those between First Blood and Hungerford, ie non-existent) hence "proving" that watching this film - even though there was no evidence that either of the murderers had seen it - caused the killing of James Bulger.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 06 Mar 2009, 16:03

alexl wrote:Also was Goodfellas cut for swearing on its first screening. It's hard to imagine films being cut for swearing on TV unless it's the "C" and even then it's rare.

No it wasn't cut. It went out on C4 in 1995, a time when swearing on this channel had become quite acceptable. This was also after the uncut screening of Reservoir Dogs. In the early years though C4 did sometimes show cut versions eg Prince of the City and also Raging Bull which was shown in a US TV version. Stupid cuts even the shots of Lamotta punching the prison wall was heavily trimmed.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 06 Mar 2009, 17:27

Re- Childs Play 3

On C4's Big Screen which was part of their teletext service in the late 90's, they asked their readers if the BBFC should ban Bride of Chucky after the 3rd film was linked to the death of Jamie Bulger. I was surprised to read that most correspondence were strongly opposed to any such ban. I also made a note of their replies which I thought was quite interesting. Here are they are -

Contrary to your recent reports, there is no evidence linking the murder of Jamie Bulger in 1993 to the minor horror film Childs Play 3. The link was first made, without evidence, by the trial judge, on the prompting of irresponsible journalists looking for an easy target to blame.

Why does the release of a movie that wouldn't even rate a paragraph of discussion in Europe or the US creat such a furore in this country? There is no evidence that the killers of Jamie Bulger ever saw Childs Play 3. Of course Bride of Chucky should be release. Too much of what we see in this country is decided by hysterical editors and politicians.

No evidence or testimony was given at the trial of Jamies Bulger's killers to support a link between them and Childs Play 3. An off the cuff remark by the trial judge about violent videos, speculation by the tabloid press and an eagerness by David Alton MP to bounce the government into stricter censorship laws established the myth.

I deplore the cynical way James Bulgers death was used to fuel a pro censorship campaign. What would the banning of Childs Play 3 achieve apart from further perpetuating the myth that Childs Play 3 had anything to to do with James Bulgers murder?

A lot of letters have responded to the Chucky issue by stating it was never proved that Childs Play 3 influenced the Bulger killing. What if it did? Should it be banned? Alcochol causes far more deaths but that isn't banned. It's an acceptable price of freedom. So why does a different philosophy apply to films? Every adult should have the right to see whatever films they like - uncut.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby alexl » 06 Mar 2009, 21:16

Markgway wrote:Sky Movies showed Child's Play 3 roughly twice in October 1993 and then cancelled further screenings when the video nasty shit hit the fan. It was ages before they screened the first or second films again (Part 2 had last played earlier in that year anyways). Cowards.

Never knew CP3 was screened until years later surprisingly I think only Bride of Chucky has been screened on terrestrial (or has it?). I remember that the version of CP2 I saw was recorded off Sky before the ban so it wasn't screened hortly after the ban, I just saw it after! Thanks for clearing that up Mark.
alexl

Postby Mercury » 06 Mar 2009, 21:21

BBC1 showed Childs Play in late 1991 in a version that removed the f-words. They haven't shown it since. 2 & 3 have never been shown on the 5 main channels.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 06 Mar 2009, 21:53

Markgway wrote:Sky Movies showed Child's Play 3 roughly twice in October 1993 and then cancelled further screenings when the video nasty shit hit the fan. It was ages before they screened the first or second films again (Part 2 had last played earlier in that year anyways). Cowards.
That's right Mark..I remember! :wink: All shops removed that film video off the shelves straight away after the Bulger murder and yet Sky screened that during its ban! I have all Chucky film DVDs here!..except I've only seen 1&2 so far!..
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 06 Mar 2009, 22:07

Mercury wrote:BBC1 showed Childs Play in late 1991 in a version that removed the f-words. They haven't shown it since. 2 & 3 have never been shown on the 5 main channels.
Really?!..never knew that! :shock:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Markgway » 06 Mar 2009, 23:58

Mercury wrote:BBC1 showed Childs Play in late 1991 in a version that removed the f-words. They haven't shown it since. 2 & 3 have never been shown on the 5 main channels.

The BBC1 version (which I taped back when I was a kid - I used to tape anything that moved - lol) was also physically cut. The stabbing of the doctor's ankle and the subsequent electrocution were edited. This despite the after midnight start time. The film's trio of f-words were removed as matter of policy.

Sky Movies showed Child's Play 2 circa 1992-93 in two versions: an uncut one which started at 9pm and a censored variant which started at 8pm.
Markgway

Postby HunterBFH » 04 Aug 2011, 12:21

I see the pilot of Sherlock on DVD IS the uncut version. I have the DVD of this which I got this arrived today! :D I presume the TV screening was shown in a cut version omitting 30 seconds shorter than the DVD version!...but don't know where was the footage/s cut to? :roll:

Torchwood as we mentioned earlier in the other thread was also cut for TV screening..should this be released on DVD/BR in an uncut version?

I remember reading in the papers that the return of Doctor Who was also cut for BBC screening several years ago. I wonder if this is uncut on DVD? It was the violence scene that was cut which was not suitable for young children as that epiode was shown in an early evening slot..
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 04 Aug 2011, 12:40

I seen this on TV and yes with Paul McCann playing as the Timelord in this only episode. I never knew this was cut for video! :shock: Thanks Vin for the link in regard to that!

But that wasn't the one I am referring to. Its the one with Christopher Ecceston as the new Doctor Who. I think it was the first episode that was cut. Do you or does anbody know about this?
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

PreviousNext

Return to Censorship Forum