TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Postby Mark Meakin » 18 Feb 2009, 16:02

I gather an episode of Star Trek-The Next Generation entitled "The High Ground" was not shown on the BBC due to references to rave drugs.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 18 Feb 2009, 16:02

That was C5 that showed the edited version of The Fix, because they were running the show very early.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 18 Feb 2009, 16:06

Mercury wrote:That was C5 that showed the edited version of The Fix, because they were running the show very early.
Oh yes that's right mercury! It was C5 that they shown this edited version! Will amend that in my post! :)
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 18 Feb 2009, 16:08

Mark Meakin wrote:I gather an episode of Star Trek-The Next Generation entitled "The High Ground" was not shown on the BBC due to references to rave drugs.

My mistake it was held back for the reasons below:-
"The episode is not "banned" - it's just that the BBC has decided not to broadcast it due to the sensitive nature of some of the dialogue (specifically the references to a "successful" terrorist campaign in Ireland leading to the reunification of the island)."(From Digital Spy)
I know "Conspiracy" was cut on BBC 2 due to the head explosion of a Federation member who has been taken over by an alien 'parasite'.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 18 Feb 2009, 16:16

m35541 wrote:I believe 2 of the original Star Trek episodes were never shown on TV (at least hadn't been up to about 1990 when I hired them out on videos which advertised this fact proudly) due to their "controversial content". One of these was Whom the Gods Wish to Destroy and involved the Enterprise crew being forced by aliens (via painful mind control) into fighting each other. At one point Kirk is "forced" to give Uhura a kiss which some thought was the reason for the banning. Can't remember what the other was called.

There was also controversy around the episode Miri which depicted a civilisation run by violent children. I believe this was screened once and then the BBC refused to show it again.

Obviously, these all look really tame now and got PG certs on VHS and DVD.

Either "The Empath" or "Platos Stepchildren" were the other I think Tim.I can remember owning the CIC video double bill of "Plato's Stepchildren" & "Whom Gods Destroy" & it actually said on the front that they had never been on UK television.I also gather "Miri" was one of the least screened episodes for a good few years.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 18 Feb 2009, 16:19

Mercury wrote:The other one was Plato's Stepchildren. I would describe myself as a hardcore fan of the original series but this episode was the biggest load of rubbish I've seen in my life.

In fact there were 3 episodes to have been originally banned Whom Gods Destroy, Plato's Stepchildren and the Empath (due to its focus on torture), all from the 3rd and final season. These episodes weren't shown until the early 90's.

You beat me to it Mercury !
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Movie Mad » 18 Feb 2009, 19:44

Not "banned" per se, but ITV1 skipped the second episode of Season One of Pushing Daises so it could fit an 8-week slot before the World Cup started.

The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson episode of The Simpsons was banned by Sky after the 9/11 attacks and never shown on BBC2. Now both Ch4 and Sky show the episode, albeit with trims (most notably to a scene where a man in one of the towers calls the people in the opposite tower "jerks" - a gag which the producers have stated is "regrettable").
Movie Mad
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Markgway » 19 Feb 2009, 16:04

Movie Mad wrote:most notably to a scene where a man in one of the towers calls the people in the opposite tower "jerks" - a gag which the producers have stated is "regrettable".

They weren't to know. No point trying to pretend the towers never existed.
Markgway

Re: TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV screening

Postby Speed King » 20 Feb 2009, 16:00

Mercury wrote:Yes it was never banned, I saw it when it was screened in 1989.

Speed King, perhaps you are confusing it with Scum? Commisioned by the beeb and then banned by them.

Yes I am. Sorry for the mistake. I think both had the same director Alan Clarke.
Speed King

Postby alexl » 23 Feb 2009, 23:42

Another banned Simpsons episode is Weekend at Burnsie's; banned from Channel 4 for drug references, even from the 9pm screenings. Wonder if it'll be on the DVD when and if it gets released.

Speed King wrote:
Mercury wrote:Yes it was never banned, I saw it when it was screened in 1989.

Speed King, perhaps you are confusing it with Scum? Commisioned by the beeb and then banned by them.

Yes I am. Sorry for the mistake. I think both had the same director Alan Clarke.

Both The Firm and Scum are by Alan Clarke. The film version of Scum is almost the same as the TV version but with higher production values; same actors as well as I think. Was his other film Elephant banned from television? It wasn't released on DVD in the UK.
alexl

Postby HunterBFH » 24 Feb 2009, 12:37

Yes, several actors did appear in both versions of Scum! I think 5 of them...

And yes..I noticed most of all the dialogue are exactly the same in both versions!..except the racist language as these were even stronger in the film version oh, and even where we see a coloured boy cut his wrist in it too! I don't think that was included in the BBC film version! :wink:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby alexl » 24 Feb 2009, 13:10

HunterBFH wrote:Yes, several actors did appear in both versions of Scum! I think 5 of them...

And yes..I noticed most of all the dialogue are exactly the same in both versions!..except the racist language as these were even stronger in the film version oh, and even where we see a coloured boy cut his wrist in it too! I don't think that was included in the BBC film version! :wink:

Thought so. Great film either way albeit one of the most disturbing I've seen possibly because it seems real and some of the events happened in borstels at the time.
alexl

Postby Luke » 24 Feb 2009, 19:39

Scum is pretty nasty even today and deserves its 18rating, I think the wrist cutting scene was shortened for T.V. Which version was released on VHS? i bought this years ago but lost my copy.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 24 Feb 2009, 19:45

Yes the wrist cutting as well as the rape was trimmed for its premiere screening on C4 in 1983. Mary Whitehouse then took C4 to court for showing the film claiming it was not suitable for TV even though it went out after 11pm.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 05 Mar 2009, 18:18

Oh yes...remember what happened in Hungerford in 1987?

First Blood was banned screening again on terrestial TV for over 10 years! They finally lifted the ban in early noughties and screened once again!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

PreviousNext

Return to Censorship Forum