TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Postby HunterBFH » 16 Feb 2009, 21:31

I started this thread to keep all our discussions regarding of what the TV stations used to ban (or still currently banned) films or any TV episodes for TV screening. :wink:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV screening

Postby Speed King » 17 Feb 2009, 11:20

From HunterBFH-:
From here, this was continued from "Films/Videos containing "Very Strong Violence" thread as I moved all these posts into here...

HunterBFH wrote:Yes, I suppose it would mercury!... :wink:

..and again yes, as it says in that "spoiler"! :wink:

Yes even the women use the C word in this one. Another one to recommend is Gary Oldman's The Firm made for the BBC and I think banned by them.
Speed King

Postby Mark Meakin » 17 Feb 2009, 11:49

Speed King wrote:
HunterBFH wrote:Yes, I suppose it would mercury!... :wink:

..and again yes, as it says in that "spoiler"! :wink:

Yes even the women use the C word in this one. Another one to recommend is Gary Oldman's The Firm made for the BBC and I think banned by them.

I know The Firm was controversal but I'm unaware of the Beeb banning its screening.I saw it first on the BBC before it hit video & dvd.
EDIT-Yes screened in 1989 with cuts From DVD TIMES:-
"Cuts to the more graphic scenes of violence were made (with Clarke`s consent) before its transmission in February 1989. Even so, Mary Whitehouse complained about the end result."
I was unaware of cuts to the first broadcast I saw.It was still strong stuff though & Oldman was excellent.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 17 Feb 2009, 16:33

Yes it was never banned, I saw it when it was screened in 1989.

Speed King, perhaps you are confusing it with Scum? Commisioned by the beeb and then banned by them.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 17 Feb 2009, 17:29

You mean THIS ?

BTW, this is now OOP as I would like to see this! :( Vin, which version of Brimstone and Treacle did the BBC ban?..as there are two of them! One with Sting (from 80's pop group - The Police) in a 1982 film version and one in a 1976 BBC film version. I think you are referring to a '76 version..right?
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 17 Feb 2009, 17:55

The TV play was made in 1976 Brian not 1968 but that's the one that was banned.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 17 Feb 2009, 18:00

Mark Meakin wrote:The TV play was made in 1976 Brian not 1968 but that's the one that was banned.
:lol: ..I WAS going to amend it before you said it! Yes, you're right Mark. :) I now know it was the '76 version that they banned after looking on IMDb.com! :wink:

Here's why!...

From IMDb.com...
Originally scheduled for broadcast on 6 April 1976 as part of BBC1's Play For Today strand, but banned because it includes a rape scene. Eventually shown for the first time on 25 August 1987.

and another from Amazon...
Recorded by the BBC in 1976, this adaptation of Dennis Potter's BRIMSTONE AND TREACLE was not orignally shown due to the Director of Programmes' reservations. In 1987 an edited version finally made it to the small screen, and remained powerful and shocking.

I might get this..becuase of a young Michael Kitchen (with his real barnet!) from "Foyle's War" is in there! I like that great actor! :)
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 17 Feb 2009, 18:03

I remember Play for Today, used to watch it every week. Those were the days when their were programmes worth watching.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV screening

Postby HunterBFH » 17 Feb 2009, 22:58

The Professionals episode - Klansman was also banned by LWT, due to few dialogue toward black people which would occur these are too offensive to viewers and they (LWT) refused these dialogue to be heard on TV! This episode has NEVER been aired on UK TV ever since!

EDIT-:
From IMDb.com...
This episode was highly controversial - it centred about a unscrupulous landlord who turfs out black tenants (it turns out that he is black himself), using racist thugs acting as an organised National Front-style group to help him (dressed in KKK robes - not something ever common in the UK). This episode was never shown in the first run (in fact it has only been shown once in the UK - by a now-defunct cable TV channel). London Weekend Television (the Series' producers) were very unhappy at the plot lines, as was star Lewis Collins, as it showed Bodie's sinister side (he was shown to have racist opinions) and it was later pulled (hence no transmission date above).

Gulp! :shock: This is news to me!..I wonder which and when did the cable TV channel show this episode in UK once?!!!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV screening

Postby HunterBFH » 17 Feb 2009, 23:38

One episode of The Simpsons "The Cartridge Family" was banned by Sky due to Homer using the shotgun and firing it in his house!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Re: TV Films/Episodes That Were Banned For TV Screening

Postby m35541 » 18 Feb 2009, 13:46

I believe 2 of the original Star Trek episodes were never shown on TV (at least hadn't been up to about 1990 when I hired them out on videos which advertised this fact proudly) due to their "controversial content". One of these was Whom the Gods Wish to Destroy and involved the Enterprise crew being forced by aliens (via painful mind control) into fighting each other. At one point Kirk is "forced" to give Uhura a kiss which some thought was the reason for the banning. Can't remember what the other was called.

There was also controversy around the episode Miri which depicted a civilisation run by violent children. I believe this was screened once and then the BBC refused to show it again.

Obviously, these all look really tame now and got PG certs on VHS and DVD.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 18 Feb 2009, 13:51

The other one was Plato's Stepchildren. I would describe myself as a hardcore fan of the original series but this episode was the biggest load of rubbish I've seen in my life.

In fact there were 3 episodes to have been originally banned Whom Gods Destroy, Plato's Stepchildren and the Empath (due to its focus on torture), all from the 3rd and final season. These episodes weren't shown until the early 90's.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 18 Feb 2009, 14:01

C4 did once ban an episode of The Waltons called Obsession (from season 7), as it was about the misuse of drugs they said it wasn't suitable for day time viewing, even though the BBC had already shown it several times. C4 later changed their minds and decided it could be shown after all.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 18 Feb 2009, 15:57

I'm pretty sure ITV did not screen the Buck Rogers In The 25th Century episode entitled "The Satyr "during the first transmission.We know as you've mentioned Mercury the BBC also held back the Starsky & Hutch episode where Hutch is given drugs.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 18 Feb 2009, 16:00

Oh yes, an episode of Starsky And Hutch - "The Fix", that was banned by the BBC due to Hutch (played by David Soul) being high on drug! (similar it happened to "Popeye" in French Connection II) and this NEVER been shown until when Channel Four finally shown this episode all uncut in mid' 90's (I think). I think I have this TV recording on tape somehere! but have it on S&H DVD too! Channel 5 also shown this again in the daytime but in edited version!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Next

Return to Censorship Forum