The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts Comparison

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts

Postby HunterBFH » 11 Jul 2010, 14:36

Interesting that! thanks for that link Vin!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 15 Dec 2010, 17:03

I think it was this scene which kept the film at an '18' for so long; the knee slowly crushing Tuco's throat; repeated punching and kicking of Tuco's head and body; Tuco's face smashed bloodily into the floor, dislodging his teeth; the attempted eye-gouging of Tuco in particular was a BBFC no-no and in itself ensured the '18' for so many years IMO.

Yeah - this was all removed from the theatrical release by the BBFC.

With the cutting back and fro to the band and Wallach being beaten-up in time to Morricone's music it is very much an emotional rather than a realistic experience. I think it sits comfortably at the 15 rating.

Incidentally, I think what really gave this problems at the BBFC and why the 18 rating stayed so long was that after a TV screening in the 1980s some young kid accidentally hanged himself whilst trying to replicate the "hanging game" played by Eastwood and Wallach. This made the BBC news at the time.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby bes » 16 Dec 2010, 11:55

I've never understood how anyone could be dumb enough to copy a hanging from a film; as a child watching such scenes I had the sense to realise that such a technique would be dangerous at best and more likely fatal. The BBFC's concern is slightly understandable with regards to TGTB&TU as the scenes in question are largely comical in nature.
I was somewhat squeamish about such scenes; I found the hanging in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves [inexplicably passed uncut for its initial cinema showing at 'PG'] particularly unpleasant [I was about 9 when I saw it]. I think there was something in the papers about a boy copying the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves hanging scene when it was shown on telly; ironically details of the hanging had in fact been cut from the tv showing as per the initial 'PG' cert home video releases!
bes
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 14 Mar 2011, 18:40

Id never tohught about the hanging scenes in TGTBTU, but this is something the BBFC have always had a problem with.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts Comparison

Postby HunterBFH » 17 Apr 2011, 20:41

We now have full official BBFC cuts detail to The Dollar Westerns which can be found in the referecne forum.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Previous

Return to Censorship Forum