The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts Comparison

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts

Postby HunterBFH » 28 Dec 2009, 18:46

Yeah I've just read your other post..you are right it is! BTW well done Luke its not worth it having the first DVD release in the edited film version! Unfortuntely for me I still have it here! Thanks Luke for answering my above question regarding FOD. That's a REAL shame these are not included in main film for SE DVD release! :evil:

I am REALLY confusing here in regards of FADM! Let's us get this right?....

The first DVD release is restored with BBFC cuts but missing some due to 'M' rated print plus the distributor cut and are these ALL IN for video release (in late 80's)? :roll:

EDIT-:
*(ironically this later footage is missing from the latest UK DVD). Scene more extensively cut than on the old DVD release (the American version). Some of the footage is from the second disc of the special edition showing uncut shots from the scene.
Aarrrggghhh! :argh: Tim's right MGM studio REALLY did messes these up! Grrr.... :x
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Revolution9 » 29 Dec 2009, 16:52

The reason why the MGM version did not include the missing seconds from FAFDM in the film is because John Kirk (being the dick that he is) doesn't believe in digital restoration, and couldn't find a good enough print of the missing footage! This is also the guy that remixed all the soundtracks into awful pseudo-surround and added the incorrect music to Duck You Sucker.
Revolution9

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Dec 2009, 17:15

Revolution9 wrote:This is also the guy that remixed all the soundtracks into awful pseudo-surround and added the incorrect music to Duck You Sucker.
Yeah I heard about that Rev9!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 29 Dec 2009, 17:15

I am REALLY confusing here in regards of FADM! Let's us get this right?....

The old Warner p/s VHS release of FAFDM was the only ever release of the uncut version.

All subsequent releases (prior to the SE) of VHS/DVD's were the cut US M rated print. The SE restored some cuts but not all and messed up with the end of the beating-up scene removing 30s of non-violent material that had been intact in all previous existing versions (bizarrely this missing 30s is incuded as a deleted scene; a deleted scene for this release only). The German SE stuck this 30s odd back into the film but is still missing the couple of other minor missing bits.

And the Italian DVD is also cut.

Mind you the Italian DVD of Once upon a Time in the West is a different edit to the UK/US versions and runs nearly 10m longer. Only in Italian though.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Dec 2009, 17:25

Cheers Tim!..Glad I got the video version (the late 80's release) uncut! :D

Interesting about OUATITW Italian DVD..I did not know about this til now!...Wouldn't bother of obtaining it though asI already have UK 2 disc edition (in a nice digi-packinging along with a booklet) here. I believe they are now selling this with armary case (and without the booklet?)
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 29 Dec 2009, 18:37

The Italian DVD I have of OUATITW is the UniVideo one (not Paramount who did the US/UK SE). It seems to be a near-final pre-release print. The extra 10 mins is all scene extensions and contains no dialogue at all and no extra scenes. For example there's a minute or so showing Morton playing with some toy soldiers on the train - the Morton 'theme' is first heard here rather than when he gazes at the picture of the ocean; the scene in the cantina has two shots of Robards' handfcuffs before the harmonica music comes in (the UK print only has one shot and the music cues start at a much more effective place); the opening scene at the train station has several additional shots; the scene in which Fonda has the gunfight with his own men in the town has some extra shots and goes on longer. Some of the music cues don't start in the right places which is why it appears to be a near-final print. It has minimal extras.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 01 May 2010, 19:56

Vin

I am not sure what they are comparing it against but it is not the cut UK theatrical print.

They are missing various cuts (eg shot of Ramon coughing up blood, shots of Esteban's bloodied face) and in addition the UK print had a Sergio Leone not a Bob Robertson credit.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 04 May 2010, 22:36

Guys..any idea where can I be to able to obtain this DVD of this FOD film in its Original Italian Version from? From Italty? I'm amazed the Italian DVD is the only that is uncut whilst our UK disc, US disc as well Dutch DVD are all edited! :evil:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 05 May 2010, 07:52

HunterBFH wrote:Guys..any idea where can I be to able to obtain this DVD of this FOD film in its Original Italian Version from? From Italty? I'm amazed the Italian DVD is the only that is uncut whilst our UK disc, US disc as well Dutch DVD are all edited! :evil:

Here:-
http://film-dvd.dvd.it/dvd-western/per- ... d-1739925/
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 05 May 2010, 09:03

Guys..any idea where can I be to able to obtain this DVD of this FOD film in its Original Italian Version from? From Italty? I'm amazed the Italian DVD is the only that is uncut whilst our UK disc, US disc as well Dutch DVD are all edited!

Hunter - which film are you talking about?

The UK DVD of Fistful is uncut.

The Italian DVD of Few Dollars I think is cut as well as the UK version.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 05 May 2010, 16:03

Is it?!!! what FOD in full original Italian version on our UK DVD?!!! Woo-hoo! which one Tim?... the SE or the first DVD release? I know about AFAFDM at least I got the uncut version on UK VHS anyway.
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 05 May 2010, 16:14

Mark Meakin wrote:
HunterBFH wrote:Guys..any idea where can I be to able to obtain this DVD of this FOD film in its Original Italian Version from? From Italty? I'm amazed the Italian DVD is the only that is uncut whilst our UK disc, US disc as well Dutch DVD are all edited! :evil:

Here:-
http://film-dvd.dvd.it/dvd-western/per- ... d-1739925/
Thanks for that Mark. but first I will require Tim's confirmation regarding FOD on our UK DVD whether (I hope) its the uncut and in its Original Italian Version or not! :pray:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 05 May 2010, 17:02

Ok guys:

Fistful of Dollars

All UK DVD versions are uncut English language versions although the SE is the one to go for due to the extras.

(UK VHS releases - some of these are cut and were the US edited print)

The Italian DVD is the Italian print with Italian titles but I believe this is otherwise identical to the UK version.

For a Few Dollars More

The most complete version is the German SE DVD although this is not fully uncut. There are at least two trims (also per the SE UK/US DVDs):

* about 3s of Indio's manic laugh after he spares the last prison guard missing
* some of the beating-up is still missing (a few blows and reaction shots just before Indio stops it)

There may be a few other seconds missing as well (possibly from Eastwood's entrance into White Rocks).

I believe that these problems stem from the fact that the SE restoration was done on an edited US master and not all of the edits were identified/restored.

I believe the Italian DVD (Italian language version) is also cut (missing the footage restored to the Germnan SE DVD - dialogue aftre Indio stops the beating).

The old UK Warner p/s VHS was completely uncut.

Once upon a Time in the West

Italian DVD well worth picking up as is a slightly different edit running 8m longer than the UK SE (looks to be a pre-release near-final print as some of the music cues aren't quite right and some of the editing is less effective). Unfortunately, it doesn't have an English track. Extra footage is all scene extensions. No new scenes and no extra dialogue.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 05 May 2010, 17:20

Ah thanks for clarifying to those Tim (in particular FOD which is much clearer to me now as I was a bit confusing over that! :lol: )

At least I won't be getting that Italian DVD of AFOD then as I already got the UK SE DVD (as well the first DVD release) of this anyway... :D
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 11 Jul 2010, 13:10

On the SE dvd's they have a feature simuliar to this, some of locations you wouldnt regconise at all. It shows you the orignal picture then an image of it today. My cousin has a photo of him and his family sat on the well from the opening of AFFOD.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

PreviousNext

Return to Censorship Forum