The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts Comparison

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: The Good the Bad and the Ugly - cinema cuts

Postby bes » 26 Aug 2008, 16:41

Yes I'm surprised that wasn't one of the cuts Luke; Van Cleef shoots the man through the head about four times! Very excessive. Not surprised the beating of the woman was toned down either; she is slapped about many times. What makes the violence more impactful though is the way in which Leone builds up to the act. Which reminds me, I still need to get Duck You Sucker aka. A Fistful of Dynamite on DVD.
bes
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 27 Aug 2008, 08:17

Yeah becuase he doesnt have violence frequently littered throughout the film it keeps a lot of its impact. Whenever Van Cleefs character seems to enter the picture theres always some scene of violence, I think the hanging scenes may have kept the film at tis 18rating along with the beating etc. I know the bbfc dont like to see scenes of people hanging were it may imply its harmless, Tucos character has a few narrow escapes from the noose.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby laggylad » 27 Aug 2008, 09:24

Luke wrote: I think the hanging scenes may have kept the film at tis 18rating along with the beating etc. I know the bbfc dont like to see scenes of people hanging were it may imply its harmless, Tucos character has a few narrow escapes from the noose.

Hmm I wonder if thats why Hang Em High has remained an 18?
I will be down there screaming up at you!
laggylad

Postby Luke » 27 Aug 2008, 09:32

Could be have something there laggylad, havent seen that classic in sometime.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby bes » 27 Aug 2008, 15:06

Hang Em High is an '18' for the opening hanging scene; the rest would pass at a '12' cert. Clint is hanged and the camera lingers on him bloodily choking in the noose for an age [over the entire opening credits if I remember correctly!] before being cut free with few ill effects bar a scarred throat. It's possible this would be allowed in a '15' now but there's no guarentee; definately borderline if memory serves and a classic exploitation scene. The rest of the film is fairly standard though IMO.
bes
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby bes » 27 Aug 2008, 15:45

Must've been heavily cut for the 'X' then; nothing else cuttable in the film really, even for the 60s.
bes
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Re: The Dollar Westerns - UK Cuts

Postby Luke » 21 Dec 2009, 10:38

I own the restored The Good The Bad The Ugly DVD but wasnt aware of the removal of some non violent scenes in the U.K Mark. This must have been the shortest version becuase they had already removed footage form the U.S release.
Fistful Of Dollars must have looked appaling in its BBFC cut state, then again in those days harldy anyone would have been aware of the cuts.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby m35541 » 21 Dec 2009, 21:44

I did see the cut version in the cinema. It was pretty obvious both the beating-up sequence and the Baxter massacre had been cut but I wasn't aware by how much until I first saw an Italian VHS.
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 21 Dec 2009, 23:31

How come you didnt see the U.K video first? or was the first VHS release the BBFC theatrical cut?.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 22 Dec 2009, 11:43

I owned the last VHS releases that hd been restored, these same pritns were used for the first DVD releases. Misleadingly the DVD cover for A Few Dollars More claimed the film was UNCUT when in fact it was the theatrical cut missing the end of the Van Cleef Eastwood beating. Id seen the longer version on ITV which used to be on regular late at night.
Took the DVD back and bought the recent SE when it first came out only to find it was cut in the same place lol.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 22 Dec 2009, 12:09

Your right Vin I overlooked those so it makes the edit a little odder, the rape sucide is still pretty nasty now but certainly isnt over the top.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 24 Dec 2009, 12:18

Vincenzo wrote:Didn't the early UK Fistful videos feature an edited U.S print?

I'd never seen the uncut version either until the restored VHS print.
Yes Tim already mentioned it in his post here in this thread and somebody else also too..can't remember who was it though! :doh: I THOUGHT this was the full uncut (International Cut version)!..but no it was not! I've tried locating this EVERYWHERE for ages years ago (which this was released in late 80's) as I wanted to buy this for to keep with the other twos (FAFDM & TGTB&TU) Presumbly this FOD from first video re-release must be very rare?!...although I have the two others here (FAFDM & TGTB&TU) as well all the threes on TWO different DVD versions here! Yes..meaning I have THREE copies of two films here! :lol:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby m35541 » 28 Dec 2009, 10:37

Yes - the first Fistful VHS release was the edited US print. The Uk theatrical print has never been released on VHS/DVD but was screened on BBC several times until superseded by the uncut print.

The Few Dollars edits are not the BBFC's fault. The original VHS release was the fully uncut version but this was then superseded by the cut US "M" Rated print. MGM tried to sort this out in the special edition restoration but messed it up and even the German DVD is still slightly cut (it restores the 30s of dialogue after the beating-up scene missing from the UK/US special edition DVD's but is missing about 5s of footage in the beating-up itself and also about 5s of Indio laughing at the end of the prison break scene).
m35541
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 28 Dec 2009, 18:03

Very lucky l have that film uncut on that video! :D Tim, is this also full uncut on first DVD release too? :roll: Presumbly the same print for video release?

EDIT: its alright I've read Tim's other post it that he says it is uncut but not uncut for SE DVD release! Phew!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Luke » 28 Dec 2009, 18:22

The first DVD release was cut the same as the SE Brian, I took my copy back to Morrisons and asked for a refund due to the false claim on the DVD cover. Much to the amusement of the staff who must have thought id lost ym marbles.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

PreviousNext

Return to Censorship Forum