Savage Streets (1984)

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Savage Streets (1984)

Postby Dr Phibes » 22 Jun 2008, 15:23

Just heard that the official release of Savage Streets is due out in September from BCI/Deimos. Apparently it's sourced from the negative and is in anamorpic 1:85:1. There are extras including interviews with Linda Blair. Happy Days :D
Dr Phibes

Re: Savage Streets DVD

Postby Mark Meakin » 22 Jun 2008, 15:30

Finally a decent release of the film.I had the old Dutch video & the awful looking uncut US bootleg.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 22 Jun 2008, 15:41

Includes a director's commentary as well I believe.

God knows what the UK video must have looked like once the BBFC removed all the crossbow scenes.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Dr Phibes » 22 Jun 2008, 15:55

I currently have a dvd-r of it which is a VHS transfer from the same Dutch tape which Mark mentioned. I am assuming that it will be uncut.
Dr Phibes

Postby HunterBFH » 24 Jun 2008, 17:10

Just found out why...also we know what was cut by the BBFC for!

HERE!

I am betting it WON'T be full uncut! Remember what happened to MSP!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 24 Jun 2008, 17:16

It was initially rejected by the BBFC probably because cutting the film would have been very difficult. In the uncut version Linda Blair uses a cross bow to get revenge on the gang who raped and killed her sister. But once you remove all sight of the cross bow it's difficult to see what point there would be in classifying the film. Anyone here seen the UK video? I seem to remember Steve saying that in the UK version scenes had to be re-shot to cover the cuts but I'm not sure exactly what they did. Apart from the crossbow scenes there was also a very controversial gang rape scene involving a mute teenage girl. Again I'm not sure what was left of this scene in the UK version. Apparently the BBFC have lost the cuts on this film which is a great shame because I would love to know what the cuts to the rape scene were. I think most of the pre cuts would have been to the climatic revenge scenes anyway.

The thing about the film is that it is clearly an exploitation films and the BBFC will always come down harder on films like this. By the way the BBFC claim they cut heavily into the crossbow scenes due to public concern over the weapon at the time. They obviously meant TABLOID concern.

I think the film has a pretty good chance of passing uncut today. Or if it is cut it wouldn't be more than about 20 seconds. The film is very tame compared to Murder Set Pieces.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 24 Jun 2008, 17:23

Mercury wrote:Includes a director's commentary as well I believe.

God knows what the UK video must have looked like once the BBFC removed all the crossbow scenes.

The Medusa video I owned was a waste of time & It was quite a shock watching the uncut version for the first time.The video barely deserved an 18 after the cuts.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 29 Jul 2008, 14:10

How come the BBFC didnt continue to cut the weapon from films? I havent heard of any other films getting cut for this reason. The media attention must have been pretty short, the bbfc passed many episodes of Robin Of Sherwood with a PGcert and many contianed frequent use and sight of the weapon.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 30 Jul 2008, 12:05

All I know was that in the early 80's there was a murder in London where a woman was killed with a crossbow, soon after the BBFC said that they were adding it to their list of banned weapons. Sounds like the ban didn't last very long.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 31 Jul 2008, 13:24

If they had continued the ban then a lot of films would have suffered heavy cuts, seems the media almost ran the BBFC at this time been a big influence on them.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 31 Jul 2008, 19:25

2 other films cut to remove Crossbow footage...Strike Commando & Firepower.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 01 Aug 2008, 12:03

Funny Ive not seen any of these films that have suffered crossbow cuts, if they had continued to cut the weapon it would have made for some stupid cuts to films and T.V programmes released on video.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 01 Aug 2008, 16:26

Mercury wrote:2 other films cut to remove Crossbow footage...Strike Commando & Firepower.

AFIAK Strike Commando starring Reb Brown was mainly cut for a lengthy cockfight sequence.I had the big box Avatar release which was accidently released uncut.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Vesuvious » 22 Sep 2008, 12:35

Hi all,

I received my copy last week. It's a fine transfer, a revelation compared to what we've had to put up with in the past.
I finished the director Danny Stienmann's running commentary, which was fun, although nowhere near as controversial as the moderator/producer had talked up!

Danny gave some interesting productions info on the film, inc the fact the producers asked for the violent rape to be cut back and reshot for fear of receiving a dreaded MPAA X rating. He also mentions his fun (am I the only fan of that damn film?) 'Friday the 13th Part V a New Beginning' was cut by 47seconds to appease the MPAA.

Could have been a single disc presentation too, as the extras on disc 2, and my God Linda Blair looks like a transvestite with her Madonna arms, amount to just over an hour. Still, it's nice a lesser film such as this receives the 5 star treatment.

Not a keeper, so I've stuck it on the 'bay to fund a future purchase. :wink:
Vesuvious

Postby HunterBFH » 22 Sep 2008, 17:40

Vesuvious wrote: and my God Linda Blair looks like a transvestite with her Madonna arms, amount to just over an hour.
:lol:

BTW Ves, does it have english subtitles or Closed Captions on there? ..as It doesn't state any on many DVD online sites! :shock:
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Next

Return to Censorship Forum