Films banned in Australia

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Re: Films banned in Australia

Postby HunterBFH » 15 Aug 2013, 11:42

Intetesting post you have made there. Makes me wonder if someone sent you a DVD with no name or alternativr name eg. "My family". Can the customs still consificate it and check it? I doubt they dont have the right to do that, do they?
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Bosch » 15 Aug 2013, 14:18

HunterBFH wrote:Intetesting post you have made there. Makes me wonder if someone sent you a DVD with no name or alternativr name eg. "My family". Can the customs still consificate it and check it? I doubt they dont have the right to do that, do they?

They have the right to open your parcel and inspect it (i.e. the Customs Act). But what are the chances they'd open your parcel? Very small these days.

Censorship enforcement is like any other law enforcement. You're only guilty if you get caught.

Authorities have fixed budgets, which means they can't police all laws all the time for all activities. I do get asked that question or people ask it on movie message boards I read. My reply is usually in terms of risk. Certainly since the internet retail explosion, with millions of parcels moving between countries, it's probably easier now than ever. But the chance of getting caught is never zero...

In Australia, Customs open parcels and do random inspections after x-raying all parcels (on a conveyor belt, no less...this was all shown on TV). Most of the time they're looking for drugs, weapons, plants, ivory, exotic animals, etc, but they used to be alert to suppliers like Xploited Cinema logos printed on parcels, and they'd be opened almost every time, say in the 1990s and early 2000s. Today if you get something from Amazon etc, it's usually never inspected. Authorities just don't have the resources to handle the volumes.

Plus they know people will just download certain titles, anyway. I think most seizures are the result of raids on homes for other reasons...e.g. drug busts. The cops just happen to find underground movies there.
Media Censorship in Australia - http://www.facebook.com/MediaCensorshipinAustralia/
Chopping List (to 2010) - http://users.tpg.com.au/boschy69/chopping/list_home.html
Still Censored - http://letterboxd.com/bosch/list/still-censored/
Bosch

Postby Luke » 15 Aug 2013, 19:53

Thanks Mercury Ive got it now.

Interesting post's Bosch. Ive read stories where British customs have removed videos tapes and sent people the empty case. This was back in the days when Ferman was controlling the BBFC.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 15 Aug 2013, 20:40

Thanks bosch. More good post there. Ah well. But there are some pros and cons.

And yes, avoid dealing with anybody regarding getting these "banned" movies into your country. My good advice to not just you and anyone especailly here on this board is to accept "no"..
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Cobblers » 21 Aug 2013, 18:13

Not too dissimilar to here in the UK really - when I got my first DVD player in 1999, my first import (from a site I've long forgotten) was the Criterion edition of Robocop. Sure enough, it came with a sticker on it informing me that it had been opened and checked by customs. That was the first and last DVD I bought that ever had that - DVD took off big time soon afterwards, and the volume of the things being imported probably far outstripped their ability to open even a fraction of them.
Cobblers

Postby Luke » 21 Aug 2013, 19:34

They would have had to hire a whole new deparmetment just to deal with them. Guess that might be declineing a bit now with digital downloads coming in?.
"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker... only I ain't convinced. You keep talking and I'm gonna take your head off" Vince Majestyk
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mark Meakin » 22 Aug 2013, 07:44

Cobblers wrote:Not too dissimilar to here in the UK really - when I got my first DVD player in 1999, my first import (from a site I've long forgotten) was the Criterion edition of Robocop. Sure enough, it came with a sticker on it informing me that it had been opened and checked by customs. That was the first and last DVD I bought that ever had that - DVD took off big time soon afterwards, and the volume of the things being imported probably far outstripped their ability to open even a fraction of them.

The Criterion version of Robocop was the second film I imported after John Carpenter's Vampires which was available nearly a year before it finally came out in the UK.The only trouble I've had is about £15.00 customs duty on my Rudy Ray Moore DOLEMITE collection boxset.I've imported I Spit On Your Grave & The New York Ripper among others from the states with no problems whatsoever & never had a parcel opened.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Cobblers » 22 Aug 2013, 11:45

Oh yeah, I did get stung by charges for the Criterion version of Brazil, but they didn't open the box.

I remember the websites I used to use (before Amazon really became known for DVDs) - DVD Express, Reel.com, and a Canadian one called DVD Box Office. Reel was great, it was dead easy to get discount codes and to build up vouchers with a daily quiz that rewarded you with 50c off for every right answer!
Cobblers

Postby Mark Meakin » 22 Aug 2013, 14:38

Cobblers wrote:Oh yeah, I did get stung by charges for the Criterion version of Brazil, but they didn't open the box.

I remember the websites I used to use (before Amazon really became known for DVDs) - DVD Express, Reel.com, and a Canadian one called DVD Box Office. Reel was great, it was dead easy to get discount codes and to build up vouchers with a daily quiz that rewarded you with 50c off for every right answer!

I used Future Entertainment in the early days then Axelmusic,whose demise was a big shock.
Mark Meakin
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Previous

Return to Censorship Forum