Die Hard With A Vengeance

Bookmark and Share
Detailed discussion on UK and worldwide film cuts.

Moderators: Censorship Team, Forum Team

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Postby Luke » 29 Nov 2006, 14:38

Would this film pass uncut today with a 15-cert or would it still have to be upgraded to an 18?. Its a shame they have have only released the censored version in the U.K region 2 box set.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Mercury » 29 Nov 2006, 18:00

Sad to admit that I have never seen the uncut version. I'm sure the members here can answer that question. I'd like to know the answer as well.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Movie Mad » 29 Nov 2006, 18:27

I'm under the impression of "yes". I've only seen the cut version, but the BBFC have no language issues at 15 anymore (see Jarhead, which has more swears than Goodfellas (not something I approve of, mind)) and the snipped violence with most 15s they certificate now (such Hostage).
Movie Mad
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Nov 2006, 20:24

Yes that wd be passed as today IF they be given with an 18 NOT 15 because there are quite of "c" word in this film!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 29 Nov 2006, 21:16

HunterBFH wrote:Yes that wd be passed as today IF they be given with an 18 NOT 15 because there are quite of "c" word in this film!

I take it then that these were part of the previous BBFC cuts?

Today the C-word in 15 films is generally acceptable unless it is used excessively or is used to describe a woman. How many times was the word used?
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby HunterBFH » 29 Nov 2006, 22:38

mercury wrote:
HunterBFH wrote:Yes that wd be passed as today IF they be given with an 18 NOT 15 because there are quite of "c" word in this film!

I take it then that these were part of the previous BBFC cuts?

Today the C-word in 15 films is generally acceptable unless it is used excessively or is used to describe a woman. How many times was the word used?
Sorry after reading Gav's work on this film in the KB there's no 'c' word in this film...But loads of 'F' word!...

Wd this using with 'c' word more than 5 times be allowed in films when passing with a 15 rating rather than with an 18? Because like in Sexy Beast which Ray Winstone and Ben Kingsley star in it which contain with load of 'c' word (over 20 times) and some other which are very offensives and was passed with an 18 and oh, remember One Flew To The Cuckoos' Nest?, that too was passed with 18 due because of few bad language offences that were used in that film! I doubt the BBFC wd pass any film like this for a 15 rating!
Works for me!
HunterBFH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Postby Mercury » 30 Nov 2006, 07:35

To be sure I would have to ask the BBFC the questions you have put there, Brian. If several uses of the f-word are allowed in a 12 (which they are) than I would imagine that only 5 uses of the c-word would be acceptable in a 15, although I don't know for sure. I suspect it depends on how it is used, if it is used very aggresively than a higher rating would probably be required. As Movie Mad has already said there is no limit to the number of times the f-word can be used in a 15, but there must be a limit to the number of times the c-word is used. So this will be a question for the BBFC.

I already asked the BBFC about One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest and was told it was rated 18 because of the scene where Nickolson uses the c-word to describe a woman. And this was the only reason.
As far as I know using the c-word to describe a man is more acceptable as far as the BBFC are concerned.

Anyway I will put all these questions to the BBFC. I will also ask them how many uses of the f-word are allowed in a 12, because I don't think anyone really knows. Worth mentioning here is that the BBFC still won't allow a single use of motherf****r in a 12.
Mercury
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Luke » 30 Nov 2006, 10:10

The BBFC passed a number of F-words in the 12A rated Terminator 3. Seems language in the film was a bigger problem for the BBFC than the violence.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Die Hard 3

Postby stevethecensorshipexpert » 30 Nov 2006, 14:18

The BBFC does occasionally allow the C-word in 15-rated movies. It's definitely used in Courage Under Fire, Castaway (no, not that one) and several others.

Die Hard 3 had 49 cuts made on its original release, mostly for language. No C-words. 4 violence cuts were made, nothing too graphic.

It would breeze through uncut at 15 now.
stevethecensorshipexpert

Postby Luke » 30 Nov 2006, 14:31

Didnt release just how heavy they cut into the language, your right Steve it proberly would get by uncut now with a 15cert.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Die Hards

Postby stevethecensorshipexpert » 30 Nov 2006, 16:55

They really destroyed Die Hards 2 and 3 for their 15-ratings.

Die Hard 3 was cut to remove not only f-words but also a few "shits" and even a "goddamn".

Ironically, Die Hard 2 had exactly the same amount of cuts - 49.

Both were also shredded by the MPAA before they got their R-ratings.
stevethecensorshipexpert

Postby Luke » 30 Nov 2006, 17:59

I had heard about Die Hard 3 been cut by the MPAA, didnt they tone down the scene were Maclanes fighting in the lift?.
Luke
Censorship Team
Censorship Team

Postby Movie Mad » 30 Nov 2006, 18:18

mercury wrote:Worth mentioning here is that the BBFC still won't allow a single use of motherf****r in a 12.

And it should stay that way. Many people, including myself, find the phrase quite offensive. There would be an uproar (and not just from the Daily Mail types).

Hunter, there were never any 'C' bombs in Die Hard 3. I thought there was one at one point, but I was corrected.
Movie Mad
Forum Team
Forum Team

Mpaa

Postby stevethecensorshipexpert » 30 Nov 2006, 19:00

Apparently the throat-slashing, the gunfight in the lift and the fight between Willis and the right hand man were all cut by the MPAA.
stevethecensorshipexpert

Postby Gregg1978 » 30 Nov 2006, 19:01

I thought the BBFC told the distributors to 'tone down the language and you'll get a 15', then the distributors went and totally went to town on toning it down. ie, the cuts were not specifically asked for by the BBFC.

Also, wasn't the C word the single reason why Veronica Guerin was made an 18? I'm not sure how many times its said though, i've not seen it.
Gregg1978

Next

Return to Censorship Forum